Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tokyo School Trip, Day 2

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!
Today the kids had a day to get away from the teachers, away from bus guides (though the boys were happy with ours) and into a city that has all sorts of idiosyncrasies. I got to see some of the kids' pictures, and it looks like they all had a great, safe time. That's the beauty of Tokyo - while it's huge, the crime rate is really low for its size. The kids were always in groups, and managed to all get back on time, with the exception of one group, who got punished the next day.

So I headed out and did my own thing. The first and last things I learned while in Tokyo: the subway/train system is VERY complicated, and experience is the only way to become savvy at traveling through the city. I met up with my good buddy Mike, who's a missionary in Tokorozawa (about 30 minutes by train from Tokyo). We went to Starbucks and chatted about life in a country that is so different from our own. About life as single guys in their early 30s (sorry to reveal your age to the masses, Mikey!), about teaching English, about teaching the Bible, about future missions possibilities, and about iPods and cell phones. It was a sweet time of fellowship, and I look forward to hanging out with Mike at the start of January for a few days, instead of a couple of hours!

Then it was off to lunch with Yumi. I have known Yumi since she was 21 years old... I won't say when that was, but we'll just suffice to say I was also a young whipper-snapper at that time! So Yumi's up in Tokyo working for a company that wouldn't even give her the morning or afternoon (or evening on that day, for that matter) off to spend with a good old friend! So we had lunch together at a place that served Japanese soba. Neither of us care much for soba mainland-style, so we ordered tempura. It came so late that Yumi had to leave before finishing the meal!

Next, I went on a "personal" mission. You see, in our English textbooks at school, there's a feature on an inn called "Sawanoya", so I went to see it and take pictures and interview the owner. It was a BLAST!

Finally, despite faulty directions and the fact that I could have WALKED there instead of taking 3 subways, I got to visit with Chad for a few minutes. Literally a few minutes! It was unfortunate but we had fun anyways.

My day off in Tokyo was not one of sightseeing, but catching up with friends. Thank the Lord for giving me great friends, and that they all had a bit of time to see me!

1 comment:

Mark said...

Catching up with friends is much better than sightseeing anyway!