Friday, December 12, 2008

Hokkaido School Trip - Day 1

I arrived at the airport at 6:20am, and was met by about 90 students and 3 teachers - most of whom I did not know. Many of whom I had never even seen around the school! Well, these would be my students for the next 6 days, my responsibility, and the ones that I would learn to love.

We got on the plane, landed in Tokyo, waited awhile longer, then got on another plane, this time to Sapporo. From there we got on the tour buses, but not before seeing and experiencing the cold and snow! This was the first snowfall for Sapporo this season, and for many students, the first of their lives! For me, it was a nostalgic moment. Ah, snow. So beautiful, so white, so cold.

So we drove to a place called Poronokoputan or something like that. It is the Hokkaido equivalent of Ryukyu Mura, which is a tourist place that shows what life was like for the area's original inhabitants. Cool stuff. They showed us traditional dancing, instruments, language, and we even got to try stuff out, too! I made a mukkuri (Ainu diggeridoo) and a lot of students did the same, but a few tried traditional Ainu stitching. It was pretty fun. Then it was off to the hotel to rest for the next day - skiing!!!

No comments: