Monday, November 23, 2009

In Korea

I wish I had taken more photos while I was in Korea... but then I ask myself, "Pictures of what? It's not like you got out and SAW much!" Oh, but I did learn a lot, and met a lot of wonderful people - my classmates and professors! Still, I was pretty mellow in the evenings... only venturing out with the classmates on my last night. The rest of the time I tried to lay low and get a lot of rest. (Some nights, this was easier than others - but that's another story.)

So I attended a 3-day (supposed to be 4 but I had to leave early) conference at which I met some world-renowned professors in the field of TESOL - namely, Professors Nunan, Bailey, and Ellis. I have had the pleasure of taking a class with Professor Bailey, and I've also chatted with Prof Nunan online in some of my other classes. It was very different meeting them in person, and I was floored by how much knowledge they were able to impart/share within such a short time frame!

And my classmates... wow, I was in awe of the wisdom of some, the kindness of some, the personalities of others... all in all, I would say it was a huge blessing to get to know them all! I wish I had had even more time to talk to them, though.

Highlights included sharing a little testimony with Roxanne and hearing hers, doing Indian accents with Jerek, chatting with Melissa outside a karaoke bar until 1 am, speaking French avec Tony, hearing Jeff excel in every session we were in, getting to know all the newbies in person before having really formed an impression of them online, and hearing all sorts of stories from Elizabeth. Oh, and of course being blessed with the tour guide abilities of Ken, without whom I would have spent more money and had less fun!

I can't wait until next year's residential, especially when I heard where it might be: TOKYO! Time for me to be a guide/interpreter for others! Looking forward to seeing y'all in 11 months!

No comments: