Monday, November 23, 2009

Fukuoka - one great city!

I haven't traveled extensively outside of Okinawa for awhile... I used to make as many trips up to mainland as I could, but in recent years that has not been the case. Anyways, I have to say that probably my two favourite cities outside of Okinawa are Sapporo and Fukuoka. I have yet to see the entire country so I don't know how they would hold up against all the rest... but so far they rank highly!


Anyhow, on my way to Korea for my grad school conference, I got to spend around 8 hours in Fukuoka. So I went back to my favourite park (Ohori Park) and walked around it twice, stopping here and there to take pictures or just enjoy the views. SO many people go there just to jog - they have a nice track around the lake that measures exactly 2 km, so I can imagine if I lived there, I would probably head out there to run as much as I could!

Then I walked back to the main part of the city (Tenjin) and had Hakata Ramen for lunch, and then walked to Canal City, a huge shopping mall. There, I realized I shoulda held out a bit longer and eaten at the Ramen Stadium - a museum/hall of ramen where there were 8 different shops, each with several types of ramen, to choose from! Ah well, next time!

I settled for Cold Stone Creamery instead. Not a bad consolation prize! Korea, here I come!

No comments: