Saturday, May 12, 2007

A venture in cooking


This morning, my buddy Josh and I did something a little out of the ordinary. We woke up early and got together at my place to make bentos. A bento is like a "boxed lunch" type of thing. Usually its main section is rice, and it also includes a main "meat" along with some side greens. Josh is fairly new to Okinawa and the idea of bentos, so unfortunately I shot down most of his American ideas. But he and I did put together some mean meals on wheels! The meal consisted of rice (sprinkled with double-roasted sesame seeds and pickled radish), a mini-hamburger steak on a light bed of whole-wheat spaghetti, go-ya champloo (basically a stirfry of go-ya -- bitter gourd -- and tofu and spam), and steamed spinach. Given that it was our first foray into making boxed lunches, I would say they turned out quite good! Stay tuned for more details next time 'round - we plan on doing this more than once!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

すげー!本当に?
That's what Matt Gaston was talking about だったんだ~。
なるほどx2!おつかれさま☆

なつき