Saturday, February 27, 2010

Take Me Out!


We are the 'Florida' of Japan - that is, the prefecture that hosts most of the professional baseball teams for their spring training. Today it was a balmy 24C (76F) in Okinawa, a perfect day for a ball game. It is, of course, February 27, and even though I have been here for most of my past 12 years, I still can't get over the fact that I can walk around in shorts in February! (And not get funny looks or pneumonia.)

So a bunch of us went out to the second-last baseball game of spring training before the teams head up to their respective home cities and continue training there. The weather across Japan is slowly warming up, so really, why stay down in beautiful Okinawa, right?

Anyhow, the Yokohama Bay Stars, who train in our very own Ginowan City, hosted the Yakult Swallows. I will be honest with you - the game was hugely disappointing. Neither offense even managed consecutive hits, to the best of my recollection. The most excitement was when Yokohama had runners on 1st and 2nd, but the next guy grounded out and the inning was over. The final score was 1-0, and the lone run (for Yakult) came on a solo home run. Only one other hit resulted in multiple bases, that being hit by the same guy that hit the HR.

But on the bright side, I got to spend the day outside watching a baseball game instead of being cooped up inside in front of my computer, either studying for grad school or watching a 'live blog' (the best I can do here, sadly) of the Canada-Slovakia hockey game.




Thank the Lord for beautiful weather and great friends! Thanks, Aaron and Lea, Jesse and Stacy, Chuck and Yumi, and Rob! I always enjoy fellowshipping with you guys!

No comments: