Saturday, November 15, 2008

Use those gifts...


Well, I took the kanji test for level 4 on Sunday, and by Wednesday I was back in ministry again! Thanks to Josh Dean, I was able to have a Sunday off from teaching in order to prepare for the test, but my buddy Tom Cotton asked me to translate his Wednesday night message for him.

I'll be honest with you - of all the things God has called me to do at Calvary (teaching, translating - English to Japanese and Japanese to English, worship team, kids ministry), I have to say that translating into Japanese is my least favorite. But perhaps that's because it humbles me the most. It's the one that comes the least naturally to me, and the one that opens me up to being "less-than-perfect" (my grammar isn't always right). So in that respect, it's good for me to have to translate from time to time!

Well, Tom taught out of 2 Chronicles 24, which is a passage I remember thinking was rather confusing when I read through it for W2 teachings. But Tom taught it very clearly and the translating wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Praise the Lord! Here's a brief video clip of us, two of the few non-American, non-Japanese people at church at any given time. (If you couldn't tell from the video, Tom is Australian. And if you don't know that I'm Canadian, you probably have never met me.)

No comments: