Thursday, July 23, 2009

Happy Anniversary to me!

Every now and then I think it's OK for me to post pictures with me in them! Today is a special day, after all. It was exactly 11 years ago on this day that I first set foot in Okinawa. That's right, I have spent almost 1/3 of my life here! Hard to believe, isn't it?

I remember distinctly being picked up at the airport by a man named Takeshi Chinen. He was one of two English teachers at the junior high school where I was to work. So we took a cab (or was it a shuttle bus?) to Tomarin, where we hopped on a jet-foil and cruised up to the northern island of Ie. There, I was greeted by the Board of Education with a banner that said "Welcome Raichura Trevor". It was the first time I had seen my name inverted without a comma to show inversion! I was touched that people were actually 'there' to greet me!

Then after short introductions (I said "hajimemashite" - nice to meet you - which was my lone Japanese vocabulary, and was told that I spoke Japanese very well!), we brought my stuff to the Hilltop Hotel, where I spent the night. But before hitting the pillow that night, we went to a restaurant for dinner. My introduction to 'real' Japanese food - sashimi is all I remember, and how I couldn't eat it... and what's this green paste blob on the side of my plate?

The next day I took the ferry with Takeshi and another lady, and we went to Nago to find me a washer, a futon, a fridge, and I think that's it... but anyways, the apartment I was moving in to had nothing in it! So those first few weeks were rough... but also so filled with adventure!

I remember walking around the island the following day, stopping my journey every time a car passed me, so I could bow like a polite foreigner. I'm sure I got a lot of funny looks, but I didn't notice them. I was just so excited to be in Okinawa!

Anyways, I could go on and on about each day that I remember, but I have to get going - I have an exam tomorrow and must study! All I know is that God has blessed me so much over the past 11 years - allowing me to 'move' back to Canada twice, even though it may not have been His perfect will. He blessed me with 2 incredible years on Iejima, 4 wonderful years at Okinawa Christian School International, and the past 4 years in Ginowan City! As for where the next stop is, at this point only God knows... but hopefully I will someday soon, too!

(The picture was taken by my co-worker Teppei, who busted out his camera when I told him today was my 'anniversary'. He made two students pose with me, and we held up 'fries' to look like the number 11. Also pictured: Saki and Shizuka.)

No comments: